I’m just back from a holiday on the coast of Mexico (photo is at San Agustinillo, Oaxaca). Seventh year in a row of going there with my husband Jim. It is a place where I sink into a sense of calm, peace, and openness. I connect with spaciousness and possibility when I am there. It’s the perfect location to spend the last days of a year as I reflect on my abundantly delicious life and set intentions for how I want to be with whatever my future holds.
One of the books I carried with me was When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron. Something she wrote resonated with me: “We can use everything that happens to us as the means for waking up.” and that “Everything that occurs is not only usable and workable but is actually the path itself.” resonated with me.
And, it led me to wonder what can I do to stay awake and to use my unique path? Here are some things I’m going to try as I ease into 2013. Maybe you want to try some of them, too? What intentions are you setting on this first day of the new year to create what you want in your life?
- Cultivate curiosity.
- Be open.
- Let go of judgment.
- Relax with what is.
- Look at what feels heavy and burdensome.
- Invite what scares me.
- Step toward difficulty.
- Breathe in whatever is in the moment.
- Stop struggling.
My hope is to create in my life more of what’s shown in the Word Cloud below. Do any of the words capture what you want to create for yourself? Maybe you want to create your own little cloud? You can at http://www.wordle.net/ .
I wrote this poem while sitting where the above photo was taken on the sands of Playa Rinconcito in San Agustinillo, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Dreams like waves in the night push their way to the shore,echoing promises for the day.
Slumber like a hazy mist lifts off the morning sea, easing gracefully toward the sky.
Possibility like a salty haze moves through the morning air, glowing orange rising from the horizon.
Ideas like golden flecks shimmer and sparkle in the sand, dancing as music in the wind.
Joy like golden light ascends into the blue, awakening a new day.
Quotes to Contemplate
- When one realizes one is asleep, at that moment one is already half-awake. ~P.D. Ouspensky
- Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken. ~Frank Herbert
- A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- The difficulties which I meet with in order to realize my existence are precisely what awaken and mobilize my activities, my capacities. ~Jose Ortega y Gasset
- My appointed work is to awaken the divine nature that is within. ~Peace Pilgrim
- When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. ~ Rumi
- Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe
Calendar – new!
Try This! Awakening_Jan2013 Calendar2 click the link on the left to download the pdf file (note that the link will take you to a new page and you’ll have to click on another link to open the file.)
Special thanks to Hector Bird for enhancing the photo I took!
© copyright Vicki L. Flaherty, Leading With Intention, 2013