Creating what I want in my life requires understanding who I am. Reflection is key to self-insight, and it is hard work. I make time to look inside, slow down, and explore. It’s easy to busily move through my day, making lists and checking things off. There’s little space in all the hurrying and scurrying to consciously create life.
Questions are the engine that drives powerful reflection. I love questions because they make me pause and think and they are about what’s true now. The right ones connect me with what’s important. I am using the questions below to bring the life I want into greater focus. I discover where I am in the present moment and use wisdom from this place to guide me. Clear answers enable me to move toward a place where I thrive and feel alive.
- What do I want?
- What matters to me?
- What would I like more of in my life?
- What makes me happy?
- When do I lose all sense of time?
- How do I like to feel?
- What am I passionate about?
- When do I get into a state of flow?
- What do people say I am good at?
- What are my strengths?
- What would I like to accomplish?
- What do I value?
- What gives my life meaning?
- What choices do I have?
- What behaviors do I want to cultivate?
I read a quote recently that got me exploring all the different ways I might finish the statement: “I AM…” As I’ve played with it, I’ve discovered all sorts of ways to complete the phrase. I can use verbs: I am making thoughtful choices. I can use nouns: I am a writer. I can use adjectives: I am courageous. Each statement is like the stroke of a brush, painting a picture of the life I want to live into.
Quotes to Contemplate
- Our vision of where and who we are is the greatest asset we have. ~Royale Scuderi
- I AM. Two of the most powerful words; for what you put after them shapes your reality. ~Positive Inspirational Quotes
- There is no limitation to the self except those you believe in. ~Seth
- Self-knowledge is the great power by which we comprehend and control our lives ~Vernon Howard
- A man’s true state of power and riches is to be himself. ~Henry Ward Beecher
- To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
- An original is always worth more than a copy. ~Unknown
- It takes courage to grow up and become who you are. ~e e cummings
- Your future depends on many things, but mostly yourself. ~Frank Tyger
Click on the link below to access the March calendar featuring highlights from this post.
Thanks to Hector Bird for his enhancements to the featured photo, which was taken from the Hotel Costa D’Or, Mallorca, Spain in September 2012.
© copyright Vicki L. Flaherty, Leading With Intention, 2013