In so many moments during the day, I want my experience to be different. Somewhere in the back of my mind I harbor this idea that there is a better place to be or better way for things to happen. I keep moving and checking things off my list as if there is solid ground or some steady state on the other side of just a few more actions. I seek order and control.
Yet, I know things are always changing. I can never be fully certain. There is never really closure. Nothing is ever complete. Perfection is illusory.
My heart tells me that I have a choice. Instead of resisting, maybe I could accept? Instead of wishing for something else, maybe I could be content with what is? Instead of thinking the ideal place is somewhere out ahead of where I am, maybe the perfect place is right here, right now, in the moment?
A friend recently described my life as a meandering stream, moving with what shows up, adapting and fluid, yet steady and always moving forward, toward some great unknown possibility. I saw the truth in it. From 10,000 feet, yes, I flow, I adapt, I meander, I move toward possibility. I wondered, what if I saw my life up close as a flowing meandering stream? Can visualizing myself like water, fluid and graceful, help me move out of resistance and into acceptance as I go through a busy work day?
I thought I would try these questions to experiment:
- What would it look like if I moved through my day like water?
- What does it look like when I am going with the flow?
- How do I feel when I move fluidly in response to what shows up?
- In what ways can I seize opportunities to open to the unexpected?
- How do I want to be when situations bring something unplanned?
- When am I inquisitive, curious, accepting of not knowing?
- How can I let go of control to embrace the potential of the moment?
Here’s a wordle I created to bring me that sense of flow. Maybe you want to create your own little cloud? You can at http://www.wordle.net/ .
Quotes to Contemplate
- Life becomes joyful when we can open to the constant flow and ride freely with it. ~Higher Awareness
- The sun shines not on us but in us. The rivers flow not past, but through us, thrilling, tingling, vibrating every fiber and cell of the substance of our bodies making them glide and sing. ~John Muir
- When you accept what is, Life Flows. ~Jackie Dumaine
- The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
- When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. ~Rumi
Click on the link below to access the May calendar featuring highlights from this post.
© copyright Vicki L. Flaherty, Leading With Intention, 2013
Photo by Kristie.