At the beginning of 2014, I set an intention for a year of peace. When I look back on the eleven months that have passed, peace is not the word that immediately comes to mind.
What characterizes the year 2014 for you?
My biggest growth this year has been as a result of stepping into new and bigger challenges at work. Taking on a new job involved facing a number of fears head on – fears I didn’t always know I had or understand at first. Sometimes it was energizing and exciting, and other times it was downright hard.
Here’s what I took away:
- The essence of who we are matters, greatly. Life offers infinite possibilities every day in the simplest of ways for discovering how we can bring who we are to what we do.
- When we truly listen with our hearts and minds, seeking to understand not only facts but also feelings, we open the door to powerful connection. Honoring the voice of another is an incredible gift to give.
- Allowing things to be messy along the way and being OK with the messiness requires letting go. Being vulnerable and asking for help are signs of strength that enable us to create a sense of partnership and community which is required to overcome great challenges.
- Feedback is a great way to check in with how we’re moving toward what we want to be creating. Others’ perspective offers a great read on our personal impact.
- Coaching is a way of being of service, of bringing out the best in others. It requires empathy and a willingness to truly be in relationship with another person.
- Finding refuge in our personal sanctuaries and taking care of ourselves is essential to making the valuable contributions we want to make, to opening our creativity, and thereby allowing ourselves to soar to great heights.
- To make a difference, it’s best to be brief when sharing our ideas. This requires having clarity about what’s important and being intentional about what we put out there.
- So much is possible if we allow ourselves to embrace differences and appreciate diversity, not only that others are different but also that what makes us unique is worthy of celebrating.
- What someone is feeling and what they are focused on can be as visible as the clothes they are wearing. To create what we want, we are invited to make conscious choices about our thoughts and actions. Clear intentions set the guidepost for confidence to move toward our biggest goals and most daring dreams.
What insights will you take away from your experiences this year?
I am awed by the ways that life invites us to grow and stretch and better ourselves. I am filled with satisfaction for having tried my best most of the time. Hmm…maybe I have found peace after all…
As we pause to celebrate a year of growth, may our learning strengthen us and embolden us to step out on the skinny branches and lean into possibility!
Favorite Quotes from 2014 posts
- What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
- These are holy moments [when] we come out of hiding and allow ourselves to simply be truthful…~Rolf Gates
- It’s a transformative experience to simply pause instead of immediately filling the space. ~Pema Chodron
- When we pretend that we can avoid vulnerability, we engage in behaviors that are often inconsistent with who we want to be. Experiencing vulnerability isn’t a choice – the only choice we have is how we’re going to respond when we are confronted with uncertainty, risk and emotional exposure. ~Brene Brown
- I have to find the man, however exalted his station, who did not do better work and put forth greater effort under a spirit of approval than under a spirit of criticism. ~Charles Schwab
- Sometimes asking for help is the bravest move you can make. ~Unknown
- Coaching is not just about achieving goals. It is about revealing the magnificence of who you are at your core. ~Chris Lucerne
- Creativity…is in reality the ability to reach inside yourself and drag forth from your very soul an idea. ~Lou Dorfsman
- We need to give each other the space to grow, to be ourselves, to exercise our diversity. We need to give each other space so that we may both give and receive such beautiful things as ideas, openness, dignity, joy, healing, and inclusion. ~Max de Pree
- Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. ~Steve Jobs
What quotes inspire you?